It takes a Village

They say it takes a village to raise (and teach)  a child.  How has Web 2.0 with its interactive elements changed the way the village acts in the capacity of educator?

Web 2.0 has created greater flexibility in our methods for teaching.  I found this post from Dangerously Irrelevant with his thoughts about videos compiled by the Digital Media and Learning Resource Hub.

The video that drew my attention the most was this one:

It explores the importance of how we learn, and asks the question, should the starting point in developing curriculum be the content, or should it be “what is the experience we what our students to have”?  How is it that we can best reach our student to create that optimal experience?  Web 2.0 has changed how we can answer that question.

What I have learned from my many years of dealing with a multitude of people is that they all learn differently.  It takes them different times, and it takes different strategies.  You have to approach people from angles they understand.  How can we possibly control the educational process in which children are learning from such a multitude and varied number of static and interactive sources?  I think the bottom line is that we can’t all the time.  What the community of those who educate children can do first is to create a student that wants to/knows how to maximize students’ learning potential while always focusing on creating a foundation of good citizenship skills.

If you are interested in ways to differentiate objectives for your students’ skills to maximize their output view this post by Byrdseed.

Web 2.0 creates an environment in which people are learning all the time, not only through 1.0 ways like  absorbing the information created by others, but also through the 2.0 ways of interacting and creating on the internet.

The Video Citizenship for Cyberkids is a discussion of how we as a community must join together to create a generation of good cyber citizens in our youth.  The internet provides learners wonderful tools, but  risks like cyber bullying and predators are real and must be addressed.  The answer is not to rid ourselves of productive technology, but to teach good cyber citizenship skills to users.  We need to collaborate as a community to discuss best practices.   The teacher might be an entry point is this training, so training programs for educators must be considered.  It is also critical to remember that the scope of education for cyber citizenship must be wider than a classroom.  It takes a village.

How does this new creative and interactive way students are learning change the way we are teaching?  Do you start with the content, what it is you want the student to learn, or do you begin with asking the question what experience is it that I want my students to have?  What have you done  to become more Teacher 2.0 to meet your students movement towards Learner 2.0, and has it required a shift in emphasis in how you teach people to engage with each other?